Thread: The dirty dozen return to the scene of the crime.

The dirty dozen return to the scene of the crime.

Now while I never expected ESPN or NHRA to mention the fact the Dave Connelly was banned for life from Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park for cheating (edited for liability reasons he and the 11 others where suspected of cheating (natty boxes) and need to submit there cars for inspection or leave and never come back ….. they all chose to never come back) I do believe the fluff pieces on returning to his “home” track to be a little to much to stomach.

I wonder if the track owner has any say in not allowing racers to attend a national event. Was this a case of the Bader (sp) family playing nice since it was there first NHRA event or did someone pay them enough to look the other way. It sure would have been funny if the # 3 guy in points couldn’t race because he was banned.

Was it Cagnazzi or Dave’s PR guy that was working overtime? The home track thing ran on NHRA.com, the qualifying show, NHRAraceday and the finals. I read somewhere that in all 6 of the dirty dozen including Dave and his dad where racing on Sunday.
    JZ
    82GT

This space for rent

What? How come I don't know about this?

From the mater
    http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/8080-...ene-crime.html

The list of suspects
    http://www.ihra.com/competition/suspensionlist.htm

From the Brackettalk on Dragracingresults.com

Here is part of a previous post here on DRR. this was posted by "Hard Times Racing" and was, by his post, copied from another on line racing zine.
    In November 1999, at the nationally noted Moroso five-day bracket race, one of the racers on Bader's developing list of suspects was protested after winning runner-up money on Friday. The driver of the protested car, who later said he was in fear of his life from the unruly crowd that gathered around him after the protest was lodged, refused teardown, left the money in the pot, and exited the track.
    Shortly thereafter, three of the other suspects on Bader's list, citing overwrought consciences, confessed to Bader that they had been using the devices, even bringing one with them, and also named eight other drivers they said had employed the devices. Armed with that information plus the other facts he had gathered, some of which he will not reveal in consideration of protecting sources, Bader then felt that he had sufficient evidence of the use of illegal devices use by 12 Ohio-based drivers, and he banned the entire dozen from participating at Norwalk for life.
    If YOU were "innocent", wouldn't you have fought?
    JZ
    82GT

This space for rent

Wow! Learn something new everyday!

How do you tech a car for these matty boxes? Its part of the wheel assembly?
    Racing is life. Whatever happens before or after is waiting. Steve McQueen

When I tech'ed at LID, my focus was safety. (yeah I know, but believe me the owner wouldn't let me bounce cars as I wanted) I kind of assumed we were all on the up and up. I mean as a racer I want to win, but I'm not willing to cheat to do it.

I will say all these drivers have skill. I guess some people still need to pad there advantage... I'm not a historian, but wasn't Nixon pretty much a shoe in for the election and didn't need to break into the watergate?
    JZ
    82GT

This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by Fordboy View Post
    How do you tech a car for these matty boxes? Its part of the wheel assembly?

Didn't Glidden's boys show the NHRA that you can't prevent well funded motivated people from cheating
    JZ
    82GT

This space for rent

From Competitionplus

http://competitionplus.com/index.php...=3205&Itemid=6

THE NOT SO DIRTY DOZEN
    Written by Bobby Bennett
    Tuesday, 03 July 2007

Twelve bracket racers from the former Norwalk Raceway Park were branded with the nickname “The Dirty Dozen” and banned from the facility for life and from the IHRA indefinitely. Those dozen bracket racers were alleged to have performance-enhancing devices that would enable them to accurately monitor elapsed time during bracket races. This happened almost a decade ago, but those involved are proving that time heals all wounds.

The switch of sanctioning bodies has brought about a pardon for their alleged crimes. Crimes one of those accused still says never happened.

Dave Connolly wants to set the record straight as one of those who was accused but never proven guilty. The Pro Stock hitter has moved well beyond those days and admittedly struggles to remember the controversial scenario. All he knows is that a lot of finger pointing took place and plenty of allegations were leveled, even though little or no evidence was ever brought to the table. To Connolly, it was nothing more than a witch hunt.

“There were accusations, and a lot of them, but nothing was ever found on our cars,” said Connolly. “I think that whole deal was a way of getting rid of a few select guys and a lot of people got punished for no real reason. I think there were a lot of guys in that situation that were branded guilty by association.”

Connolly has maintained his innocence fpr the past seven years. The allegations included a race-fixing scheme.

“You know everything happens for a reason,” Connolly said. “In my case I moved on to bigger and better things. It never slowed down my racing career.”

Still Connolly has regrets.

“I wish none of it would have happened. It’s not the kind of exposure I wanted to ever get. It happened and I had to learn to live with it. I never stopped racing and I’m hooked up with a great team. I can live with that.”

Bill Bader Jr. says his team has moved on, although he’s never wavered in his decision to ban those racers.

“It was a long time ago and those guys were racing in different types of cars,” Bader said. “It was in different types of cars, a different format, in a different time and different place. To the NHRA’s credit, they approached me about the situation and took into consideration my feelings.

“I don’t feel that I have the right after all of this time to impede someone or detour their pursuit of a championship. I just didn’t feel it was fair. The NHRA was kind of enough to consider my feelings and we arrived at a conclusion.

“At the time I made the decision and based on the information that I had before me, I stand behind my decision.” Bader said. “I feel that was the absolute right way to handle it. A lot of people were involved in this. I did have conversations with some of them recently and I visited with a lot of them during our Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event. I think we have all have moved on. I would like to see the industry follow suit.”

Some just can’t seem to let go, however. Earlier this week, the Nitromater.com message board generated a four-page thread on the racers returning to Norwalk.

“You still have your keyboard racers who want to sit there and dredge up old stuff like that, but in all reality this whole deal happened seven years ago and if they have to bring that up after all of these years then I feel bad for them,” Connolly said
    JZ
    82GT

This space for rent