Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long island needs a drag strip research paper

Long island needs a drag strip research paper

For those of you that know i am in my third year of college. Currently i am in a English class and have been given a research paper that is due in a little over a month. Luckily we were given the choice of topic, but it had to be a topic where we took a side. For example i could have chosen why they should or should not legalize abortion or pot or w.e. Or what cell phone is better or fuel injected vs carb. The list goes on and on. So i asked my teacher if it would be ok if i wrote why long island should have a drag strip. My main thesis is Long Island should have a drag strip not only due to a economic benifit but also to cut down on street racing and to race in a safe controlled enviornment. She loved the idea and i got the go ahead. If any of you gentelman and gentleladies are browsing the web and see a article with a good statistic or how a drag strip is benificial somewhere else feel free to post it up. I know some of you guys post them on a regular basis. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tim

Top Fuel
    Check out Beat The Heat for stats.

Quote Originally Posted by my600ho View Post
    For those of you that know i am in my third year of college. Currently i am in a English class and have been given a research paper that is due in a little over a month. Luckily we were given the choice of topic, but it had to be a topic where we took a side. For example i could have chosen why they should or should not legalize abortion or pot or w.e. Or what cell phone is better or fuel injected vs carb. The list goes on and on. So i asked my teacher if it would be ok if i wrote why long island should have a drag strip. My main thesis is Long Island should have a drag strip not only due to a economic benifit but also to cut down on street racing and to race in a safe controlled enviornment. She loved the idea and i got the go ahead. If any of you gentelman and gentleladies are browsing the web and see a article with a good statistic or how a drag strip is benificial somewhere else feel free to post it up. I know some of you guys post them on a regular basis. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tim
    PM me your email address.
    The files are too large to post here.

I have several reports on the economic impact.

Mike
    1963 Impala SS 409/340HP (Original Engine)
    Saddle Tan/Saddle Tan
    4-Speed 3:36 Posi
    Tilt Steering Wheel
    Factory Black Vinyl Roof

98 Camaro street/strip under construction

Live Life a 1/4 Mile At a Time

www.msracingcomponents.com PATENT PENDING VVT UNLOCKER TM TECHNOLOGY

Quote Originally Posted by my600ho View Post
    Thanks
    Tim
    there is a load of sites out there about this stuff. just google benefits of a dragstrip or raceway
    http://journalstar.com/news/local/ar...98152e824.html
    check this out right on our site
    http://www.lidragracing.com/showthre...f-a-Drag-Strip
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 11-06-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Hi Tim.....
    My name is Dina. My husband and I are professional Pro Mod racers.We are the owners and drivers of Parise Racing. If we can help.... email me.
    info@pariseracing.com
    Good Luck!

Top Fuel
    Also Long Island was home to one of the first (if not the first) purpose built drag strips (Westhampton). The Carricola family built it in (open to correction) 1953. The NHRA was just getting together with the Police dept at that time and was still using surplus landing strips, so we here on the east coast were "ahead of the curve". How that fact was overlooked in its rushed development still amazes me....

Thanks for all the input guys and girls this is a great start. Knew everyone on here could contribute. I think what i am going to do is start with a history of drag racing on li. Its funny how you talk to people my age and they say "there was a track in islip?" so i think that would be good. Then go on and discuss the recent epidemic of street racing incidents across the island/ country and how we can solve this. How we have many BIG name racers that live on the island and dont have a track they can call home and how a drag strip can be benificial to all not only the economy but to save lives. Also i dug up a article on the industrial park/ track deal that they were planning on doing out west. Think it will be a good angle to look into. Also i am going to interview Marty Himes and throw in some stuff from the museam. If anyone thinks they found a good topic post it up i will definately look into it. As my paper progresses i will probably be contacting a few of you guys.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Also Long Island was home to one of the first (if not the first) purpose built drag strips (Westhampton). The Carricola family built it in (open to correction) 1953. The NHRA was just getting together with the Police dept at that time and was still using surplus landing strips, so we here on the east coast were "ahead of the curve". How that fact was overlooked in its rushed development still amazes me....
    We WERE a location so rich in Motorsports at one time...... Many now are not even aware of it.... what a shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Parise Racing View Post
    We WERE a location so rich in Motorsports at one time...... Many now are not even aware of it.... what a shame...
    http://kenbausertsnostalgicmuseum.bl...day-today.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dog4274...7608796869471/

New York National was located on Chapman Blvd Exit #70 off the LIE.
    Greenwood Village is now located on the site. Racers I have spoken to say the strip
    still exists since the builder build right over it without ripping it up.

The entrance to the complex is the NY National pit entrance gate.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...alSpeedway.jpg

Aerial view of NY National opening day March 20, 1966.
    The LIE did not go that far out then. Sunrise Highway was the only was to get there.

Mike
    Last edited by LongIsland63SS409; 11-07-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    1963 Impala SS 409/340HP (Original Engine)
    Saddle Tan/Saddle Tan
    4-Speed 3:36 Posi
    Tilt Steering Wheel
    Factory Black Vinyl Roof

98 Camaro street/strip under construction

Live Life a 1/4 Mile At a Time

www.msracingcomponents.com PATENT PENDING VVT UNLOCKER TM TECHNOLOGY

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland63SS409 View Post
    http://kenbausertsnostalgicmuseum.bl...day-today.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dog4274...7608796869471/

New York National was located on Chapman Blvd Exit #70 off the LIE.
    Greenwood Village is now located on the site. Racers I have spoken to say the strip
    still exists since the builder build right over it without ripping it up.

The entrance to the complex is the NY National pit entrance gate.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...alSpeedway.jpg

Aerial view of NY National opening day March 20, 1966.
    The LIE did not go that far out then. Sunrise Highway was the only was to get there.

Mike
    Now that's good stuff! I grew up in Bellmore.....Went to Freeport on Sat nights. (could hear it from my house when we were not there! Loved that!)Came home covered in dirt! Also had a family friend who raced there.... Good Times!